3 Quick Ways to Surprise & Delight Your Customers
The manner of giving is worth more than the gift. ~Pierre Corneille, Le Menteur
Doesn’t it always seem like the customer wants “just” one more thing? Heck, I don’t blame them. I do it myself. Aren’t we trained to always want more? Sometimes, even when we get what we want, it isn’t what we really need.
So it’s no surprise that our customers want one more thing.
One small thing.
When you give your customers that one small thing they want ahead of time, they are not only surprised but they are excited to see what comes next. That one small thing is big because it's big to them. These business ideas will keep your customers happy and increase your referrals.
This small thing is there to make them feel special. And that’s the ultimate end goal, right? We want our customer to be excited with our delivery and to feel special.
Now when reality sets in and when we have multiple customers who want multiple additions to what was promised, we can get to a place where we have added on tons of work, higher expectations, and lower profit revenue. To me, “just” doing one more thing always ends up taking much longer than expected.
So how do we manage both? Surprise and delight our customers and all of them? This is the power of low-hanging fruit. Low-Hanging Fruit: What is it? There's always the core offering or product that you are delivering. The low-hanging fruit is the thing that helps them that much more, it's something that would make it easier and nicer for them to use or achieve.
Low-hanging fruit is something seemingly small, a minimal effort, but it provides a surprisingly big impact to the your client.
Below are some things you can do to make your customer happy while not adding loads of work to you and your team:
- Powerful & Friendly Follow up. By checking in with your client you are keeping them engaged and in-the-know with how you care about them. This could a quick email to them, a text or call. Give your client an unexpected follow up and have them light right up.
- Send them a Thank You Note. When was the last time you received a hand-written thank you note? Spend the few minutes to tell your customers how appreciative you are to work with them. Your client would be thrilled and feel appreciated themselves. The impact and improvement on the relationship will be great.
- Proactively Give Them a Service They Would Pay For. Do you offer services by the hour? If so, then during that appointment, add in 15 or 30 minutes just for fun. Time is a commodity and something we all need more of. Why not give some additional time? Won't your client love and appreciate that?!
- Bring Them a Treat. Are you local? Who doesn't want a surprise afternoon coffee break? The pharmaceutical industry relies on this practice and it truly generates sales for them. They bring breakfast, coffee, sweet treats. You're are getting in front of your client, face-to-face. What better way to remind them you are there than being there?
- Give Them a Recommendation. Do you know someone who could use their services? Do they do good work? Share the good will. Speak highly of them and recommend them too. Even write them a recommendation on LinkedIn. That takes minutes but the effect and goodwill will only improve your relationships.
Making the extra effort for your client will grow the relationship leaps and bounds. People admit there is always a better service or better price but they enjoy the comfort and loyalty of people they work with. If you have a relationship where your customer is surprised and delighted, why would they not want to work with you?? Low-hanging fruit is one of the simplest ways to make your customer happy. You're showing a customer that you are thinking of them when they are not there. This thing that you do will require a minimal effort on your part but will make big impact to your customer.
Your customer will be excited, feel special and be happy with you! You'll feel confident that they are there to stay.